Student Prefect System
What is a Prefect?
At Aquinas Academy, a prefect is a junior or senior student who has earned the respect of the faculty and student body, and is given certain authority and responsibility. This authority is not status, but an opportunity to be a servant leader, and give back to a school that has greatly assisted his or her formation. Our leaders learn practical skills such as goal setting and how to run a productive meeting; develop qualities of servant leadership such as vision, humility, and integrity; encourage other students by their words and more importantly by their actions. However, the student leadership program exists not only for the benefit of the individual students, but also for the community at large. Members are elected by the 8th-11th grade students in the fourth quarter of the year for the following school year.
- Head Prefect
- The Head Prefect is a senior who leads the Prefect Board and runs weekly prefect meetings. The Head Prefect is responsible for setting theme and goals for the year and for speaking to the student body at assemblies.
- Academic Prefect
- The Academic Prefect leads the Academic Committee, sets up student tutors for struggling students, and assists with other academic events such as field trips and the Science Bowl.
- Activities Prefect
- The Activities Prefect leads the Activities Committee and is responsible for student activities throughout the year, such as Fall Fest, Movie Nights, and School Dances.
- Ambassador Prefect
- The Ambassador Prefect leads the Ambassador committee. This prefect is responsible for hospitality at events, giving tours of the school, and coordinating high school mentors for interested middle school students.
- Athletic Prefect
- The Athletic Prefect leads the Athletic committee, meets with team captains, promotes school spirit, encourages students to attend games, and assists with pep rallies and intramurals.
- Campus Ministry Prefect
- The Campus Ministry Prefect leads the Campus Ministry committee. The Campus Ministry Prefect organizes altar boys, lectors, adoration schedules, and student prayer groups, along with supporting the Vivat Vita and Students of Service clubs.
- Fine Arts Prefect
- The Fine Arts Prefect leads the Fine Arts committee and plans for upcoming events such as drama productions and concerts. Other responsibilities include supporting the Dumb Ox newspaper, Literary Magazine, and other visual/performing arts.
Each prefect meets at least once a month
- ...with the 8 member Prefect Board
- ...with his/her advisor, to plan the upcoming committee meeting
- ...with his/her committee, and runs the committee meeting, with the advisor’s assistance
This structure allows more leadership opportunities, as each prefect is responsible for his or her respective area, and works with a committee to accomplish goals.
All leadership positions, such as those within Vivat Vita and Dumb Ox, as well as committee members working with each prefect, are critical to the overall Aquinas Academy experience. We encourage students to get involved as underclassmen, so that by the end of their sophomore or junior year, both the students and the faculty have a strong sense of the leadership gifts and talents of each student, and how they will most strongly influence the school community.