- Congratulations to Gina Liguori (top goal keeper), Emi Kartsonas, and Emma Queen for being selected all-WPIAL for field hockey this season. (Nov 2019)
- The high school girls cross country team wrapped up their season at the PIAA State Cross Country Championship. The team finished 11th overall in a very competitive field. Lily Hynds (87th overall with a time of 23:32) and Trishy Blume (96th overall with a time of 24:02) represented the school and the team very well. Congratulations on a great season! (Nov 02, 2019)
- The 7th and 8th grade soccer team was its Diocesan Soccer League section winner! The team conceded only five goals all season, winning the section with an 8-0 record! The 5th and 6th grade soccer team ended the season 12-2-2 and outscored their opponents 64-23. Congratulations to both teams on great seasons. (Nov 2019)
- Congratulations to Matthew Flynn and Jackson Vollmer, both of whom were recognized over the weekend in the Pittsburgh Catholic newspaper as the Aquinas Academy Outstanding Students in Catholic Schools, Matt in High School and Jackson in Middle School. (Oct 30, 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy 6th and 7th Grade Girls Soccer team on winning the DSL All-Girl Varsity Championship and the Aquinas Academy 4th Grade team on winning the 4th Grade Developmental Tournament Championship! (Oct 26, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy 5th/6th and 7th/8th grade soccer teams made the Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer League playoffs again! Go Crusaders! (Oct 2019)
- The high school girls cross country team won the WPIAL championships for the fifth year in a row and are headed to the State meet on November 2nd in Hershey. They finished eight points ahead of the second place team. Lily finished fourth for the team and 32nd overall. Trishy finished fifth for the team and 47th overall. The top five runners score for the team. Congratulations Lily and Trishy and the girls co-op cross country team! (Oct 24, 2019)
- All of the high school boys on the co-op cross country team, including Aquinas students Patrick and Eion, ran personal bests at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships! Congratulations! (Oct 24, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy runners ran well at the Diocesan Cross Country Championship on Saturday, October 19th— a great finish to the season! Special congratulations to our medalists: Gianna- 9th overall, and Emily- 24th overall, out of 102 varsity girl runners! (Oct 2019)
- The Girls 5th and 6th Grade Volleyball Co-op Team for Aquinas & Blessed Trinity Academy won their first playoff match 2-1 vs. Holy Cross! The team next competes against Carrick in the 2nd round volleyball playoffs on Wednesday, October 23rd. (Oct 21, 2019)
- The high school cross country girls Aquinas-Vincentian co-op team is the 2019 TSCTA Champion for the second year in a row! The team next competes at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships on Thursday, October 24th. (Oct 18, 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy field hockey team on earning another trip to the WPIAL field hockey playoffs! Their semi-final playoff game is set for Wednesday, October 23rd at Shady Side Academy, where they will take on The Ellis School. (Oct 18, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy 3rd - 8th grade cross country team ran quite well at the North Area Cross Country Championship. Adam Ohayon finished second overall in the 7/8 boys division. The 7th and 8th grade girls team earned third place overall. The 5th and 6th grade boys team finished fifth overall. Congratulations to all the runners! (Oct 4, 2019)
- Congratulations to John Griffith, violin, and Helayna Baer, cello, both 10th graders, who made it into the PMEA District 1 Honors Orchestra! The concert will be at Fox Chapel High School on November 17th at 4:00 p.m. We are all very proud and excited for both of these talented musicians, who will represent Aquinas Academy in this prestigious group. (Sep 2019)
- The girls Aquinas-Vincentian co-op cross country team placed third at the PIAA Foundation Invitational in Hershey! (Sep 21, 2019)
- Kate McLaughlin shot a personal best of 101 at the WPIAL girls golf individual qualifier! (Sep 18, 2019)
- Congratulations to Liam Ellis, named one of the Top 300 Broadcom MASTERS® in this national middle school STEM competition for his 8th grade science fair project titled “The Bacteria Among Us: Do Bathrooms Have More Germs than Other Surfaces in a School?”. (Sept 2019)
- Best of luck to Kate McLaughlin who will be participating in the High School Girls Golf individual WPIAL qualifier at the Del Mar Golf Course on September 18th! (Sept 2019)
- New this year, Aquinas Academy 5th-8th grade girls are able to play volleyball on a co-op team with Blessed Trinity Academy. The 5th & 6th grade girls co-op team won their first volleyball match, winning 2 games to 1 over Butler Catholic on August 26th! (Sept 2019)
- Over the summer, the students of Aquinas Academy had fun playing in the first ever Aquinas Academy Intramural Futsal League! Five teams competed in this league, all vying to become the first ever league champions. Congratulations to the league winners, the White team: Matt Flynn, Oliver Flynn, Pedro S., William S., and Jude Truschel! (Aug 2019)
- Aquinas Academy is ranked #1 of the Best Catholic High Schools in the Pittsburgh Area for 2020— the sixth consecutive year! (Aug 2019)
- Aquinas Academy alumni Jake Schirra and his wife, Natalie, are featured in an Our Sunday Visitor article on “How are young adults building communities of faith?” (Jul 19, 2019)
- Hardman & Giacobbe named to USA Fencing All-Academic Teams! Harry Hardman, a member of this year’s graduating class, was selected for the All-Academic First Team for the third consecutive year. Steven Giacobbe, a rising sophomore, was named to the All-Academic Second Team. Related article: “Pair of Aquinas Fencers Stay Sharp in Class” (pinecreek.triblive.com, July 2, 2019). Congratulations, Harry and Steven! (Jul 2019)
- Isabella Hite is the 2019 Crusader Award winner! The award is given to the middle school student who best lived out on a daily basis the ideals of Aquinas Academy and who consistently displayed diligence in studies, charity to classmates, respect for teachers, and love of God. Congratulations to Isabella and to all of the middle school academic award winners who were recognized at the June 4th Middle School Awards/8th Grade Graduation ceremony. (Jun 2019)
- Aquinas Academy 8th graders who presented at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) state competition in May earned six 1st places and two 2nd places, with two of the 1st place students earning a perfect score! First place: Gracie Burchill, Hunter Harrison, Ben Tarquinio (perfect score), Annie Wang, David Winkler, and AJ Yellin (perfect score). Second place: Liam Ellis and Elijah Vangura. Congratulations, students! (Jun 2019)
- Congratulations to the 7th and 8th grade soccer team, the Spring 2019 Olympic Division Varsity Champions! The team won the Diocesan Soccer Championship against Blessed Seelos with a score of 2-1. (Jun 9, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy 7th/8th grade and 5th/6th grade soccer teams are in the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer League Playoffs! The 5th/6th grade soccer team finished regular season as section champs, winning section one for the 2nd season in a row and earning 1st seed in the playoffs! The 7th/8th grade soccer team finished in 2nd place in section one and are 3rd seed in playoffs! Go Crusaders! (Jun 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s third grade team are the Diocesan Developmental Soccer Champions! This is their fourth Diocesan championship, having won in first grade and twice in second grade. (Jun 1, 2019)
- Congratulations to all of the high school academic award winners! Special recognition goes to our 2019 Aquinas Award recipient, Hannah Bilenski! The award is given to the upper school student who through academic achievement, love of God, and contributions to the Academy, best represent in daily life the ideals and goals of Aquinas Academy. (May 31, 2019)
- Congratulations to rising senior Anna Plazek on receiving the 2019 Harvard Book Award! This prestigious award is given for excellence in scholarship and high character, combined with achievement in other fields. (May 31, 2019)
- Samuel Schirra was presented with the RPI Medal, a $100,000 merit scholarship to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, awarded to outstanding math and science students. (May 31, 2019)
- Congratulations to the lower school award winners, including the 2019 Peter Hyrzca Award winner, Lucas Connolly! (May 31, 2019)
- The 5th and 6th grade soccer team are section champions! Congratulations to the team and good luck in playoffs. (May 28, 2019)
- Congratulations to Molly Maglio and Anthony Hite on being named Aquinas Academy High School Outstanding Athletes of the Year! (May 22, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s 5th and 6th girls track & field team took home the third place trophy from their Diocesan Track Championship! Congratulations to the girls and to the entire 5th-8th grade track team, who ran extremely well at the championship. (May 2019)
- Congratulations to Molly Maglio and Anni Truschel on being named All Section Lacrosse players! (May 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s developmental track & field team finished their “funtastic” season at the Diocesan Developmental Track & Field Championship. The boys team finished 3rd overall, with many of our boys and girls placing well individually, too! (May 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy high school girls lacrosse team clinched another trip to WPIAL lacrosse playoffs! (May 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s first ever 5th-8th grade girls tennis team made school history by winning their first match on April 30th! (Apr 2019)
- Congratulations to eighth grader Hunter Harrison! Aquinas Academy student wins science award. (triblive.com, April 14, 2019)
- Congratulations to eighth grade student Liam Ellis! Aquinas Academy student shines at Science, Engineering Fair. (triblive.com, April 4, 2019)
- Congratulations to Savannah Deschamps, the 2019 Aquinas Academy Spelling Bee Champion! Savannah will next represent Aquinas at the Diocesan spelling bee. Aquinas Academy also commends Savannah and all of her fellow Aquinas spelling bee contestants for having won their classroom spelling bee in order to compete in the school-level spelling bee! (Mar 2019)
- The “Crewsaders”, a team of boys from Aquinas Academy, were the 3-on-3 Tournament Champions! The girls team from Aquinas, “Hibachi Hoopers”, took third place. Congratulations! And, thank you to all of the teams who participated. (Mar 23, 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy lower and middle school chess club, who won their chess meet against St. Kilian’s by one point! (Mar 19, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy’s team of 5th grade boys and their younger siblings are the Holy Trinity Preview Basketball Tournament Champions! Congratulations! (Mar 16, 2019)
- Fifty Aquinas Academy students who participated in the Aquinas Academy Chess Tournament invitational! Congratulations to all of the participants. The following students earned an award: Garvin Whetzel, Stephan Dmitriev, Eddie DeWitt, Colton Dobies, Peter Koble, Linus Burchill, Mark Rounding, Kian Miller, Mackenzie Sparrow, Meriwether McCargo, Ava Vangura, Jonah Burchill, Anthony Rossi, Louis Bentivegna, Christopher Glatz, Elijah Vangura, Michael Jernigan, Joseph Bentivegna, and Gracie Burchill. (Mar 09, 2019)
- “Limited time in pool doesn’t keep Aquinas swimmer Schirra from making WPIALs”. (tribhssn.triblive.com, March 8, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy senior, Natalie Zimmerman has been accepted at the University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music as a Costume Design and Technology major! Natalie did an amazing job as the wardrobe designer/director for our high school productions of “Guys and Dolls” and “Pride and Prejudice”— designing and creating many of the costumes from scratch! Congratulations to Natalie, who will be the first Aquinas graduate to study costume design. (Mar 2019)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy 5th & 6th grade girls navy and 5th & 6th grade boys basketball teams, who both finished 2nd in the Eden Christian Tournament! (Mar 04, 2019)
- The 5th and 6th grade boys basketball team won their first Diocesan playoff game beating Holy Trinity by one in the final minute of the game! They advance to the second round where they play St Kilian on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. (Feb 27, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy boys 5th/6th and 7th 8th teams are in the Diocesan Basketball Playoffs! Go Crusaders! (Feb 26, 2019)
- The “inspiring” Aquinas Wonderbots are going to States! The Aquinas Academy high school robotics team qualified for States and won the Inspire Award at the Upper St. Clair competition. Congratulations to our amazing rookie-year robotics team! (Feb 24, 2019)
- Two of our fifth grade groups received Honorable Mention in the category of Lower Division Scene from the Pittsburgh Public Theater Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest! Congratulations to: Luke Crawford Jr., Louis Bentivegna, Luke Koehler, Lucas Conley, Patrick Richthammer, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Pyramus, Thisbe, Moon, Wall, Lion/Prologue: Savannah Deschamps, Lucy Flynn, Francesca Hite, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Fairy, Fairy, Puck. (Feb 21, 2019)
- Aquinas Academy wrestler Anthony Ferraro placed 3rd at the Norwin Middle School District 7 Tournament this weekend! The sole wrestler on the Aquinas team, Anthony earned enough team points to place 46th out of 55 teams overall! Congratulations, and best of luck to Anthony at next weekend’s State Qualifier! (Feb 16, 2019)
- The Aquinas Academy high school girls basketball team will play their first round of WPIAL basketball playoffs on Tuesday, February 19th at Keystone Oaks. Go Crusaders! (Feb 2019)
- Anni Truschel, a senior, was recognized for her play as a Trib HSSN Girls Basketball Player of the Week - Honorable Mention (tribhssn.triblive.com, January 27, 2019). Congratulations, Anni! (Feb 2019)
- “Aquinas fencer cements commitment to Cleveland State” (tribhssn.triblive.com, February 8, 2019). (Feb 2019)
- Sam Schirra, a junior, qualified for the WPIAL Swimming Championships in the 50 freestyle and the 100 butterfly! This is Sam’s third year qualifying for the championships as an independent swimmer for Aquinas Academy. (Feb 06, 2019)
- Congratulations to the following students who competed last weekend at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) Regionals with excellent results! Eight of our students placed first: David Winkler, Annie Wang, Andrew Yellin, Cecilia Burchill, Elijah Vangura, Benjamin Tarquinio, Hunter Harrison, and Liam Ellis; and, six placed second: Jude Truschel, Anthony Canzian, Mason Bilenski, Mia Russell, Maryam BouSamra, and Isabella Hite. Eight special Awards were won as well— an Aquinas record! Five students received The Duquesne University Award for Excellence in Scientific Pursuit: Elijah Vangura, Benjamin Tarquinio, Andrew Yellin, David Winkler and Hunter Harrison. Hunter Harrison won The American Society of Civil Engineers Award. Elijah Vangura won the Directors Award for Middle School for the Behavioral section. And, Andrew Yellin won the Directors Award for Middle School for the BioChem section. (Feb 02, 2019)
- The high school girls JV and varsity basketball teams both beat St. Joseph last night. The win guarantees the varsity team makes the WPIAL basketball playoffs for the second year in a row! Congratulations, ladies! (Jan 29, 2019)
- Margaret “Molly” Maglio, Aquinas senior and Lacrosse Academic All-American, has committed to playing lacrosse at MIT next year! Congratulations, Molly! Related news article (TribLIVE.com, Jan. 28, 2019) : Aquinas Academy Student to Play Lacrosse, Major in Biology at MIT. (Jan 2019)
- Congratulations to Harry Hardman who has committed to Cleveland State University where he will compete on the Men’s Varsity Fencing Team this fall. Harry will be the first Aquinas Athlete to fence for an NCAA Division I school! (Jan 2019)
- Eight Aquinas Academy students from the lower and middle school band auditioned for and were chosen for the North District Diocesan Honor Band! Congratulations to Cecilia Burchill, Marilia Schmitt, Julia Meland, Liam Ellis, Benjamin Everson, Bill Gallina, Chase Harrison, and Josh Schlemmer. The District Band Concert will be performed on Saturday, March 16th, at 6:00 p.m. in the North Catholic High School Auditorium. (Jan 2019)
- “Aquinas Academy fencing team sees strong growth ahead of season” (tribhssn.triblive.com, December 29, 2018). (Dec 2018)
- Congratulations to Anthony Ferraro on placing 1st at the South Fayette Middle School Wrestling Tournament at 90lbs by pinning his way to the finals. He scored enough points as the sole wrestler for Aquinas Academy to place 23rd of 28 teams overall! (Dec 2018)
- Aquinas Academy’s high school robotics team earned the FTC West Central PA Qualifier Judges’ Award! The first-year Aquinas Robotics team also achieved making it to the competition’s semifinals! (Dec 08, 2018)
- Students in the Model European Union club attended the 14th Annual Model European Union Conference at the University of Pittsburgh to discuss the topics of Brexit and Transatlantic Relations as delegates from an assigned country in the EU. The students who participated were Ella Stewart, Katie O’Connell, Mary Bence, Grace Fort, Elizabeth Blume, Anni Truschel, Isabelle Tessier, Kate McLaughlin, Alex Garcia, Lauren Mroch, Greta Winkler, Trishy Blume, Emma Queen, Alica Lenartova, Anna Keverline, Diego Garcia, and Sabrina Knox. Each two-person team successfully contributed to passing mock resolutions and forging alliances with other countries. (Dec 07, 2018)
- Congratulations to Aquinas Academy’s WPIAL Field Hockey All-Stars: Gina Liguori and Natalie Hyrcza, 2nd team; Emma Queen and Lauren Mroch, honorable mention! “WPIAL field hockey all-stars announced” (tribhssn.triblive.com, December 5, 2018). (Dec 05, 2018)
- The Aquinas Academy high school production of “Pride and Prejudice” opens this Friday! Audiences will be delighted with this romantic comedy based upon the classic novel by Jane Austen. Friday, November 30 at 7 p.m.; Saturday, December 1 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.; and Sunday, December 2 at 2:00 p.m. (Nov 29, 2018)
- Congratulations to the twelve Aquinas Academy senior girls who were presented at the 55th St. Lucy’s Medallion Ball! The girls have each volunteered at least 150 hours of service throughout their high school years. (Nov 23, 2018)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas Academy 7th and 8th grade boys— the Aquinas Academy Tip-Off Tournament Champions! (Nov 17, 2018)
- Aquinas Academy’s 5th/6th soccer team is the Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer Olympic JV Championships runner-up and the 7th/8th soccer team is the Olympic Varsity Championships runner-up! (Nov 4, 2018)
- Congratulations to the girls cross country co-op team on placing 4th at PIAA State Championships! (Nov 3, 2018)
- Trishy Blume will compete with the cross country co-op team tomorrow in the PIAA State Championship Cross Country meet in Hershey, PA. Best of luck! (Nov 2, 2018)
- Aquinas Academy’s 5th/6th and 7th/8th grade soccer teams are the Diocese of Pittsburgh Soccer Olympic JV Section Champs and Olympic Varsity Section Champs! (Oct 2018)
- Congratulations to the girls co-op cross country team on winning their fourth consecutive WPIAL Cross Country Championship! (Oct 25, 2018)
- The high school cross country girls co-op team is the 2018 TSCTA Champion! The team next competes at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships on Thursday, October 25th. (Oct 19, 2018)
- Congratulations to the high school girls co-op soccer team on earning a spot in the WPIAL soccer playoffs! Their first round game is this Saturday, October 20th at Trinity (Oct 19, 2018)
- Head of School, Leslie Mitros, responds to “What is your school’s biggest challenge and how are you addressing it?” in the Fall 2018 issue of Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine . (Oct 2018)
- Congratulations to Grace Fort, Katie O’Connell, and Anni Truschel who have been recognized as National Merit Commended Students! Their scores on the PSAT were among the top 50,000 of the 1.5 million students who took that test. Aquinas senior Margaret “Molly” Maglio was recognized earlier as a Semifinalist. (Sept 2018)
- The girls co-op cross country team won the PIAA Foundation XC Class A Invitational! (Sept 22, 2018)
- We are proud to announce that Margaret “Molly” Maglio, Aquinas Academy Senior, has been named a National Merit Semifinalist through the National Merit Scholarship Program. This means that Molly’s PSAT score in the fall of her junior year qualified her as one of the top 16,000 students out of the 1.6 million who took the test in the U.S. She will go on to compete for the position of Finalist, based on academic record, and ultimately for one of 7,500 National Merit Scholarships that will be offered in the spring. Congratulations, Molly! (Sept 14, 2018)
- The Aquinas-Vincentian high school girls co-op cross country team are the single A Red, White & Blue Classic Champions for the 4th year in a row! Tara, Holly, Makara & Maryella medaled in the Top 20! Dana crushed the competition at the finish line; & Trishy Blume sprinted past a handful of girls for an excellent first run at the always competitive R W & B ! The boys were great during the monsoon conditions! They were led by Jake, followed by a new fast addition, Sam Schirra; to join solid runs by Doug, Wray and Cade. The boys team is continuing to sneak up and surprise teams! (Sept 08, 2018)
- Aquinas Academy in Hampton ranked No. 1 Catholic School in state by Niche.com (Trib Total Media, Mar 1, 2016)
- We are Number 1! For the second year in a row, Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania! (Feb 15, 2016)
- “Eagle Scout projects bring upgrades to Aquinas Academy” (Trib Total Media, Nov 16, 2015)
- “Aquinas Academy celebrates 20th anniversary” (PG Publishing Co., Inc., Aug 21, 2015)
- We are Number 1! Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania and is 29th out of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in America! (Aug 2015)
- Aquinas Academy is pleased to begin offering an after school program for the 2015-16 school year. Parents in need of care for their student beyond the school day are invited to meet the new after-day program director, Genny Kozusko, and find out more about the program on Monday evening, May 11th at 5:15pm in Mross–McGonigle Hall. (May 2015)
- “Bishop blesses new Aquinas Academy building.” (Trib Total Media, Mar 30, 2015)
- Aquinas Academy was honored to have Bishop David A. Zubik celebrate Mass with us and then bless Mross-McGonigle Hall. Thank you, Bishop Zubik! View photos of this special occasion here. (Mar 23, 2015)
- Students will start school Tuesday, December 9 in the new Mross-McGonigle Hall which will serve as the new home for high school students. The completed $4.85 million dollar building will provide our growing academy with 15 new classrooms, including two state-of-the-art science labs and an arts wing. Lower and middle school students will use the building for art and music classes. (Dec 9, 2014)
- “Aquinas Academy to open new hall” (Post-Gazette, Oct 30, 2014).
View more photos of the building here.
- “Aquinas Academy recognized for excellence.” (Trib Total Media, Sept 24, 2014)
- Aquinas Head of School, Leslie Mitros, accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! Watch Video (Sept 05, 2014)
- An article was recently published on pages 36-38 in the Fox Chapel Living magazine, featuring Aquinas Academy and alumna Caroline Henry. Aquinas Academy: Handing On the Fruits of Contemplation (August 2014)
- Aquinas Academy Advisory Program is successful due to the attitude of the faculty - April 4th Pittsburgh Catholic article > content of article (April 4, 2010)
Class of 2019 SAT Scores
Success is in the Details
of alumni recognized as National Merit Scholars, Finalists, or Commended students.
The 2019 National Average is 1.4%.
100% of the Class of 2020
scored a passing grade of
3 or higher on their
2019 AP exams.
The 2019 National Average is 59.9% using College Board's AP Score Distribution.
units of blood collected by the Students of Service for the blood bank.
of middle school teachers hold a master’s degree.
Ranked the #1 Catholic High School in the Pittsburgh Area six years in a row by Niche.com (2015–2020).
Niche finds the "best schools in your area based on statistics, student and parent reviews, and expert insights.
2019 ACRE Scores
ACRE is designed to assist in the evaluation of catechetical/religious education programs in Catholic schools and parishes.
95% National Percentile Rank
on 2019 IOWA Exams for Grades 2–8.
Aquinas students score higher than 95% of schools in the nation.
Over $2,000 donated to pro-life charities by Vivat Vita’s “Cakes for Life” in the last five years.
1st place awarded to five 5th graders in the 2017 Shakespeare Scene Showcase of Finalists.
83% of High School students played a sport and participated in an additional extracurricular activity during the 2018-19 school year.
45% played two or more sports
College acceptance rate
Average class size
Student to teacher ratio
Masses offered throughout the school year