elcome to Aquinas Academy, an independent, private school in the Catholic tradition for boys and girls in grades prekindergarten through twelve, located in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh.
- Apr 7-11: Iowa Testing
- Apr 9: Honeybees;
- Apr 10: Pro-Life T-Shirt day
- Apr 12: High School Spring Dance
- Apr 16: Jr/Sr Retreat
- Apr 17-27: NO SCHOOL-
Virtue of the Month
April's virtue: Cheerfulness
- Congratulations to Aquinas Academy junior Michael Tappe, who was recognized for his basketballs skills both as a high scorer, Boys Basketball: North Scoring Leaders (Feb. 18, 2014), and as an honorable mention in the list of Top 25 regional players, Greater Pittsburgh Top 25 Basketball Players. (Feb 2014)
- On Saturday, February 22, 2014, Aquinas Academy sent two teams to this year’s southwestern Pennsylvania regional competition of the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Science Bowl. Both Aquinas Academy teams were selected to receive the Civility Awards for sportsmanship in their divisions. [Read More] Competing for Aquinas Academy: Team #1 (7 wins, 2 losses): Nick Navari (senior), Tracey Schirra (senior, captain), Jacob Scioscia (junior), Margaret Zaharko (senior), and Lucy Zaharko (sophomore). Team #2 (2 wins, 7 losses): Ian Athey (sophomore) Elena Liguori (sophomore), Joseph Richthammer (sophomore, captain), Seth So (sophomore), and Mackenzie Stewart (sophomore). Aquinas Academy was the only high school that had both teams earn the Civility Award. (Feb 22, 2014)
- Congratulations to freshmen John Reed and Ian Schirra, who competed in the WPIAL swim championships at the University of Pittsburgh Trees pool on February 28. John competed in the 500 freestyle and Ian competed in the 100 Backstroke and 100 Breaststroke. Aquinas is very proud of our swimmers.  (Feb 28, 2014)
- Aquinas girl's varsity won the Southwestern Christian Athletic Conference (SWCAC) championship on Saturday afternoon at Penn State-New Kensington. Aquinas beat First Baptist for the second year in a row, by a score of 46-32. [Read More] The girls finished the season 20-2, and were undefeated in league play. While senior Molly Robinson led Aquinas in scoring (15 pts) and rebounding (13 rebounds), all seniors played great games: Catherine Blume, Elisabeth Flaherty, Kelly Lynch, Christine Ortiz and Margaret Zaharko. Sophomore Hannah Canil led the team in assists and steals. Molly Robinson and Margaret Zaharko were league all-stars. (Feb 22, 2014)
- Two groups of Aquinas Academy students were selected to compete in the Showcase round in the Pittsburgh Public Theatre Shakespeare Competition. [Read More] Representing Aquinas in a Lower Division Scene were Sophia Henry, Maya Nelson, Gabrielle Lisanti, and Julia Bukowski (A Comedy of Errors), and in an Upper Division Scene were Lara Salibi, Nick Navari, Tyler Fort, and Catherine Blume (A Midsummer Night's Dream). (Feb 17, 2014) Read News Release
- Congratulations to the 8th - 12th grade students who competed in the Regional PJAS Competition on Saturday February 1st, many of them winning 1st and 2nd places and special awards. [Read More] Receiving Second Place awards were: R.J. Newcamp, Richard Adam, Jacob Haskins, Max Kunzmann, Thomas Plazek, Emma Boback, Matthew Warhola, Ellie Hall, Kayla Lubert, and Jacob Scioscia. Receiving First Place (and advancing to the State Competition in May) were: Emily Vangura, Henry Farrell, John Reed, Luke Lynch, Cece Liguori, Luke Gavel, Elizabeth Brugger, Justin Atta, Todd Oravitz, Julia So, Peter Mallampalli, Harry Scherer, Caitlin Reed, and Nate Lisanti. Additionally, special awards were won by: Luke Lynch (Carnegie Mellon Chapter of Sigma Xi); Luke Gavel (Duquesne University Young Science Stars), and John Reed (American Nuclear Society, Bechtal Plant Machinery, and PJAS Directors award in Physics). (Feb 1, 2014)
- Aquinas Academy sent two busses of students, accompanied by some faculty and parents, to the March for Life in Washington, D.C. to peacefully demonstrate against the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision to make abortion legal on demand. Watch Short Video (Jan 22, 2014)
- The Aquinas Middle School Girls Lacrosse team won the True Lacrosse Holiday Madness Tournament at PISA in Cheswick, PA. Our roster included Captain Rachel Urbash, Liz Blume, Claire Foley, Katie O'Connell, Anni Truschel, Mikey Seel, Ella Stewart, Erin Palmer, Scarlett Hudson, and Molly Maglio. Congratulations to all of our Middle School Girls Lacrosse Players! (Dec 28, 2013)
- Congratulations to 10 Aquinas Band Students who auditioned for the North District Diocesan Honor Band and made the group. [Read More] They are: Henry Farrell, Natalie Hyrcza, Luke Lynch, Max Meland, Susan Meland, Lauren Mroch, Maya Nelson, Sarah Richthammer, Harry Scherer and Katie Yellin. Max Meland received the highest score in trumpet auditions and was awarded first chair. Susan Meland also received first chair on French horn. (Dec 2013)
- Congratulations to seniors Catherine Blume and Margaret Zaharko who were named as Commended Students by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. They join Tracey Schirra, who was named earlier this fall as a National Merit Semi-Finalist. Congratulations to these three students for their National Merit status! (Nov 2013)
- Central-midfielder Chris Miller, who was earlier recognized as an all-section player, made the All-WPIAL soccer team for single A schools. Senior Molly Robinson was recognized as an all-section goalie for her superior play in goal for the girls’ soccer co-op team. Congratulations to both of these outstanding soccer players. (Nov 2013)
- Congratulations to seniors Elizabeth Stofko and Margaret Zaharko, who were both named 2013 AA WPIAL All-stars in field hockey. (Nov 2013)
- Special recognition goes to Jonathan Lynch, Chris Miller, and Jacob Scioscia for earning all-section honors for WPIAL Soccer. Brandan Miller was recognized as honorable mention. Congratulations to the entire boys’ High School Soccer team on a great season of inspired soccer. The team was the first soccer team in Aquinas history to make the WPIAL playoffs. (Oct 2013)
- Catherine Blume has received the Yale Book Award. [Read More] Announced at the high school awards last spring, this prestigious award is given to a high school junior with outstanding personal and intellectual promise.In addition to having a greater than 4.0 GPA, superior SAT scores, and serving as editor-in-chief for the Dumb Ox, Catherine participates in: athletics, the school drama, the literary magazine, and the Pittsburgh Public Theater's Shakespeare contest. (Sept 25, 2013)
- Tracey Schirra has been named a National Merit Semi-Finalist. [Read More] Based on the PSAT taken in the junior year, the designation as Semi-finalist places Tracey among the top 16,000 scores of 1.5 million juniors who took the test last October. Tracey will continue in the competition, to achieve the status of Finalist, and potentially a National Merit Scholarship Winner this spring. (Sept 23, 2013)
- “Work begins on $4.2 million Aquinas Academy expansion project.” Read the Article: Tribune-Review, Sept 18, 2013.
- Aquinas Academy junior, Michael Tappe, is in his second season as the starting quarterback for the Vincentian Academy varsity football team, with whom Aquinas students play football under a cooperative agreement. Read more: “Vincentian QB growing with program”, Tribune-Review, August 24, 2013.
- Coming Soon: A New Building! Construction is set to begin in August on a new classroom building. A formal Blessing by the Bishop is scheduled for September 9th. Read the related Newspaper Article: Tribune-Review, June 13, 2013.
- “Energy-minded Greg Reed plugs young people into the power industry. ... Reed spent the last semester teaching ‘Introduction to Energy & Electricity,’ an overview class, to eighth-graders at Aquinas Academy in Hampton. The course introduced students to...” (Deasy, Deborah. “Aquinas students introduced to careers in energy industry.” Pine Creek Journal 6 June 2013: 4. Print.) Read Entire Article
- The 7/8th Grade Soccer Team won the Diocesan Championship in the Olympic Division! The team finished the season with a 10-2 overall spring record and a combined 25-6-1 record since the fall. Congratulations on a great season and league championship! (Jun 2, 2013)
- Congratulations to senior, Paige Hardman, who is the Aquinas Academy recipient of the St. Timothy Award given annually to one student from each of the Catholic High Schools, as well as several students from each vicariate region. The St. Timothy Award recognizes a spirit of Christian Service and Catholic values. Paige has been the president of the service club (SOS) and has done work for Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh. The St. Timothy Award will be presented at a ceremony with the Bishop in May. (Apr 2013)
- Aquinas Academy Advisory Program is successful due to the attitude of the faculty - April 4th Pittsburgh Catholic article > content of article (April 4, 2010)
- Aquinas Academy - Highest SAT Average in Southwestern PA > article